Deploy your own web application on your laptop
Deploying your Ampersand-script involves building an application, baking an image, deploying it on your local docker platform, and running the result from your browser. Most of that process is automa
- 1.Make sure that ports 80 and 443 on your laptop are available. (In other words: if you run a web server on your laptop, bring it down.)
- 2.Make sure that docker is running on your laptop.
- 1.git clone https://github.com/AmpersandTarski/project-template into an empty directory, so you have all the necessary files needed to deploy your application. We will call this the working directory.
- 2.Substitute the file "MyScript.adl" in the working directory for the Ampersand script you want to run.
- 3.Edit the file
.envto choose a root password for the database and an ampersand password for your application that accesses this database. Please choose safer passwords than the ones shown, which are merely examples. DON't publish the
.envfile once it contains your passwords. If you make your own repository, take care that your passwords do not accidentally appear on github.
- 4.Edit the file
Dockerfileand substitute the filename "MyScript.adl" for the file name of your Ampersand script.
- 5.Open a command line interface (CLI) and navigate to this directory
- 6.Call "docker compose build". This step bakes your image. Docker stores that image on your laptop.
- 7.Call "docker network create proxy". The configuration uses a docker network called "proxy" to connect to ports 80 and 443 of your laptop, so you can use your browser to play with your application
- 8.Call "docker compose up -d". This instructs docker to deploy your application.
- 9.Go to your browser and navigate to
localhostto access you application.
- 10.Press the red install button on your application to spin up the database under your application.
Now you are set to go and tinker with your application.
to be done