This tutorial is meant for Business- or IT professionals who want to learn about information systems development. Knowledge about Ampersand is not presumed. The text offers pointers for you to find out many things on your own. This tutorial is intended for individual study, but you can always ask your tutor if things are unclear. The required theory is also available in Learning Unit 3 of the coursebook of the course IM0403, Rule-Based Design, taught at the Open University of the Netherlands.
- 1.You will start by looking at an information system called "Enrollment" and learn the basics of its specification. By looking at a small information system you can discuss the purpose of the course with your tutor and peers.
- 2.Then you will be introduced to the web-based version of Ampersand, RAP4, in which you can specify an information system and create a working web-based prototype. With this tool, you can make information systems of your own, enabling you to complete the course.
- 3.Next, we will have a look at the conceptual model behind the Enrollment system. You will learn to interpret a rule based on the given concepts and relations. You will see some basics of relational algebra.
- 4.You will learn how to analyse a "spreadsheet information system" and turn it into a well defined information system. This technique allows you to help organizations with organizing and structuring data.
- Ampersand is meant to develop information systems.
- This tutorial will get you going with Ampersand. Consult your tutor with questions.
- You have a tool to experiment with.